Paola Loriggio, Toronto Star
October 8, 2008
Another American deserter has been ordered to leave Canada.
Former Sgt. Patrick Hart was told this morning he and his family will be deported to the U.S. on Oct. 30, Michelle Robidoux of the War Resisters Support Campaign said this morning. The group is lobbying federal officials to grant deserters safe haven in Canada.
Hart is asking officials to defer his deportation until Jan. 1, Robidoux said in a phone interview from the border, where she accompanied the sergeant for his ruling.
“He’s got a son in Grade 1 who just started school,” she said. “He wants him to finish the term.”
Hart served nine years in the U.S. military and took part in Operation Iraqi Freedom. On the verge of a second deployment in Iraq, the sergeant decided he couldn’t continue to take part in “an illegal and unwarranted military occupation,” according to a statement by the war resisters group.
He and his wife, Jill, and son, Rian, moved to Toronto in 2005.
War resisters Corey Glass and Jeremy Hinzman also lost their bids to stay in the country earlier this year, though federal court stayed their deportation orders until it decides whether to grant them an appeal. The court already decided to allow Glass to contest the decision; it is expected to rule on Hinzman’s case soon.
The War Resisters Support Campaign will hold a rally tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. at Queen St. and University Ave. to show support for the Hart family and other Iraq war resisters.
Source | See Also: U.S. War Resister ’surprised’ deportation order stayed | National Day of Action as Protesters Urge Vote to Let War Resisters Stay | U.S. deserter feared torture orders | Early U.S. war deserter ordered deported | U.S. army war resister’s deportation sparks outrage | U.S. war resister Corey Glass granted stay of deportation order | U.S. deserter wins appeal |Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â MPs vote to give asylum to U.S. deserters, Tories say no | U.S. soldier who fled to Canada ordered deported