statism watch

Archive for July 16th, 2008

U.S. Intel Officer: Al Qaeda Leadership Allowed To Operate Freely in Pakistan

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008

Steve Watson, infowars.com
July 16, 2008

A U.S. intelligence official last week testified to Congress that he believes the Bush administration is allowing the leadership of Al Qaeda to operate freely in Pakistan and is choosing not to disrupt its activities.

Demanding to know why the U.S. has not taken more decisive action against a known enemy, Tom Fingar of the office of the Director of National Intelligence told a Congressional hearing:

“It’s not that we lack the ability to go into that space, but we have chosen not to do so without the permission of the Pakistani government.”

“The U.S. has provided $5.6 billion in coalition support funds to Pakistan over the past five years, with zero accountability,” said Congressman Patrick Murphy, D-Pa., at the hearing.

“Why is Pakistan still being paid these large sums of money, even after publicly declaring that it is significantly cutting back patrols in the most important border area?” he asked.

Fingar’s claims are supported by the recent revelation that a secret military operation in early 2005 to capture senior members of Al Qaeda in Pakistan’s tribal areas was aborted at the last minute after top Bush administration officials decided it was too risky and could jeopardize relations with Pakistan.

While the Neocon hijackers of the U.S. government are warning daily of imminent bone crushing terror attacks and the lengths they may have to go to in order to protect “the homeland”, the leadership of the so called greatest threat to our way of life is being allowed to operate with impunity in Pakistan, a country ruled by a military dictator, because the Bush cabal has for some reason decided that in this instance alone interventionism is wrong.

Meanwhile the American public has been treated to another round of fearmongering with the latest re-hash of Bin Laden footage.

The President painstakingly pointed out to journalists this weekend that the same people that carried out the 9/11 attacks are the ones now threatening the U.S., yet the leadership of this movement not only remains wholly untouched, both by U.S. special forces and by a foreign government to whom the Neocons are throwing billions of dollars towards.

Why is this the case? Because there is a great need to perpetuate the mythical war on terror in order to maintain the pretext for the geopolitical genocide currently being undertaken by globalist advances into the middle east “rogue” (independent) nations.

A brief look at the history of the war on terror shows that Pakistan, working directly under the CIA and MI6, has its fingerprints all over the global terrorist explosion attributed to Al Qaeda.

Before 9/11 Pakistan worked directly with the CIA to create the Taliban in Afghanistan. Selig Harrison from the Woodrow Wilson International Centre for Scholars stated:

“The CIA made a historic mistake in encouraging Islamic groups from all over the world to come to Afghanistan. The US provided $3 billion for building up these Islamic groups, and it accepted Pakistan’s demand that they should decide how this money should be spent.

The old associations between the intelligence agencies continue. The CIA still has close links with the ISI (Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence).

Today that money and those weapons have helped build up the Taliban, Harrison said. The Taliban are not just recruits from ‘madrassas’ (Muslim theological schools) but are on the payroll of the ISI. The Taliban are now “making a living out of terrorism.”

Harrison confirmed that the creation of the Taliban had been “actively encouraged by the ISI and the CIA and that Pakistan had been building up Afghan collaborators who would “sustain Pakistan”.

Remember that Al Qaeda itself was a joint CIA/ISI intelligence database of mujahudeen fighters they had recruited in the late 70s and eighties to fight the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

It was later revealed via de-classified Defence Intelligence Agency documents of 2001 that the DIA was aware that the ISI was sponsoring the Taliban and Al Qaeda, but the Bush Administration chose to ignore its findings.

B Raman, former additional secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, analysed three recently de-classified DIA documents of 2001 relating to the Taliban and Al Qaeda and said, “From these documents, it is clear that the DIA knew of the ISI’s role in sponsoring not only the Taliban, but also the Al Qaeda.”

No surprise then that in 2003 two senior members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Richard G. Lugar, Republican of Indiana, and Joseph R. Biden Jr., Democrat of Delaware, went on record to state that Pakistan’s ISI was sheltering Taliban fighters along the border, thus undermining the stability of Afghanistan.

The Senators told the New York Times that there was evidence that ISI might be helping the Taliban and Al Qaeda operatives along the border infiltrate into Afghanistan.

Then in 2005 CIA officer Gary Schroen, who spearheaded US’ search for Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan, stated that ISI officials are very well aware of the whereabouts of the leadership of Al Qaeda, including Bin Laden himself.

The veteran CIA officer said that regardless of how much reward money America offers, “Bin Laden would not be captured and handed in” because the leadership of Pakistan, including Musharraf, are afraid of the internal political consequences.

Two days before 9/11, the leader of the Afghan Northern Alliance, Commander Ahmad Shah Masood, was assassinated. The Northern Alliance informed the Bush Administration that the ISI was allegedly implicated in the assassination, stating:

“A `Pakistani ISI-Osama-Taliban axis’ [was responsible] of plotting the assassination by two Arab suicide bombers…. `We believe that this is a triangle between Osama bin Laden, ISI, which is the intelligence section of the Pakistani army, and the Taliban,”

Thus the Afghans that would be fighting on the side of the U.S. in the upcoming war after 9/11 are on record with their belief that the ISI and Al Qaeda are intimately connected. Yet the Bush administration began operating with Pakistan and the ISI as an ally.

Not even the corporate US media could whitewash these facts and so explained it away by alleging that US officials had sought cooperation from Pakistan because it was the original backer of the Taliban, the hard-line Islamic leadership of Afghanistan accused by Washington of harboring Bin Laden.

Then the so called “missing link” came when it was revealed that the head of the ISI was the principal financier of the 9/11 hijackers.

In various terror attacks, alerts and foiled plots since 9/11, further links between Al Qaeda, the ISI and U.S. and British Intelligence have emerged.

As Professor Michel Chossudovsky has pointed out in his excellent expose, all these links are even corroborated by the House of Representatives International Relations Committee. A Statement in 2000 by Rep. Dana Rohrbacher, Hearing of The House International Relations Committee on “Global Terrorism And South Asia” highlighted that U.S. support funneled through the ISI to the Taliban and Osama bin Laden has been a consistent policy of the US Administration since the end of the Cold War:

…[T]he United States has been part and parcel to supporting the Taliban all along, and still is let me add… You have a military government [of President Musharraf] in Pakistan now that is arming the Taliban to the teeth….Let me note; that [US] aid has always gone to Taliban areas… We have been supporting the Taliban, because all our aid goes to the Taliban areas. And when people from the outside try to put aid into areas not controlled by the Taliban, they are thwarted by our own State Department… At that same moment, Pakistan initiated a major resupply effort, which eventually saw the defeat, and caused the defeat, of almost all of the anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan.

Pakistan and the ISI is the go between of the global terror explosion. Pakistan’s military-intelligence apparatus, which literally created and sponsored the Taliban and Al Qaeda, is directly upheld and funded by the CIA. These facts are not even in dispute, neither in the media nor in government.

Therefore when we are told by the neocon heads of the new world order that they are doing everything in their power to dismantle the global terror network what we are hearing is the exact opposite of the truth. They assembled it, they sponsored it and they continue to fund it. As any good criminal should, they have a middleman to provide plausible deniability, that middleman is the ISI and the military dictatorship of Pakistan.

Source | See Also: Afghanistan suggests Pakistan responsible for embassy bombing | Report: U.S. Gave Green Light For Taliban Prison Attack | US Experts Can’t Agree on Whether ‘Al-Qaeda’ Poses a Threat, Look to ‘Leaderless Jihad’ in America | Afghan attacks rise as al-Qaeda gains strength: U.S. report | New Bin Laden Video: 100% Forgery | U.S. Government Caught Red-Handed Releasing Staged Al-Qaeda Videos | Terror accused refuses to discuss links to Pakistan secret service, family threatened | London terror plotter was ‘hardened’ in ISI camp | Swiss scientists 95% sure that Bin Laden recording was fake | US Allowed Taliban, Al-Qaeda Airlift Evacuation

China wages war on Olympic weather

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008

Bill Schiller, Toronto Star
July 16, 2008

Behind locked gates around Beijing these days, some heavy artillery sits aimed at the clouds

BEIXIN, CHINA—Mark Twain once famously said, “Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.”

Here, 25 kilometres northwest of central Beijing, they’re desperately trying to do something about it — it’s just that nobody wants to talk.

“You can’t come in here,” says a groundskeeper from behind the locked gates of the Beijing Haidian District Weather Modification Office. “No one gets in here without permission from the higher authorities.”

Behind him stands a battery of four 37-millimetre anti-aircraft guns and a rocket launcher mounted on a trailer.

It’s all part of Beijing’s war on weather.

With the Olympic Games just 23 days away, the government is determined to do everything it can to ensure a picture-perfect opening for the event.

That includes trying to control the heavens.

The battery of guns here in the village of Beixin is just one of 26 installations around Beijing ready to blast clouds with silver iodide and other chemicals in an attempt to keep the Olympic opening ceremonies dry.

If storm clouds appear moving towards the roofless “Bird’s Nest” National Stadium on Aug. 8, authorities want them pre-empted, blasted and induced before they can rain on Beijing’s Olympic parade.

But for China, efforts to manipulate the weather didn’t just begin with the Beijing Olympic Games.

They date back to 1958 and Chairman Mao Zedong who encouraged it as part of a wider “war on nature,” an unfortunate period that also brought a massive famine.

Today, however, China boasts that it spends about $90 million annually on weather modification projects across the country and has assigned some 30,000 scientists to research and conduct experiments. It also employs 7,000 artillery guns and 4,000 rocket launchers in cloud-seeding efforts nationwide.

But despite its claims of scientific progress down the years, many remain skeptical.

Roelof Bruintjes, a U.S. scientist, informed a conference in Colorado in April that he told the Chinese during a recent visit to Beijing that there could be no guarantees for a dry Olympics.

“We cannot make clouds or chase clouds away,” he told the conference. He also said he was “very skeptical” about claims of Chinese progress.

“There is no scientific literature that can substantiate their claims,” he said.

But China is not the only country engaged in weather modification experiments.

Canada too has dabbled in cloud seeding, but mainly to mitigate crop damage from hailstorms.

The science of weather modification through cloud seeding actually began in the United States with experiments by General Electric in 1946. But with little proven success over more than 60 years, the U.S. government has largely ceased research funding.

Nevertheless, there are an estimated 150 weather modification projects in 40 countries and, in an age of diminishing water resources, a group of U.S. scientists is trying to persuade the federal government to once again fund research.

China, meanwhile, also continues to use aircraft in its experimental efforts.

Last year, in the first week of August, the country’s English-language China Daily newspaper carried a short story that revealed details of cloud seeding on a much larger scale.

It reported that three government planes carrying 30 technicians had flown in a circle of about an 80-kilometre radius for three hours over Inner Mongolia.

The story said the technicians dropped silver iodide and small amounts of diatomite — composed mainly of silica — into the atmosphere at about 8,000 metres.

It was at about this time that Beijing experienced its extraordinary thunderstorms. Whether the two events are connected is not known.

Full Story | See Also: Technology Exists to Redirect Hurricanes, Naval Physicist Says | Weather War? | NASA Funds Sci-Fi Weather Control Technology | Much of Britain sprayed in secret germ warfare tests

Illinois governor suggests National Guard help with Chicago gun crime

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008

Monique Garcia, Rick Pearson and Hal Dardick, Chicago Tribune
July 16, 2008

Seizing upon the controversy enveloping Mayor Richard Daley over Chicago gun violence and city policing, Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Wednesday he’s holding discussions with his State Police and Illinois National Guard officials about any crime-fighting role they can play.

“I think today it’s fair to say that violent crime in Chicago is out of control,” Blagojevich said. “That in certain communities in the city of Chicago, it’s reaching epidemic proportions.”

Blagojevich said he hasn’t talked to the mayor about the issue—he planned to call Daley—and that the administration’s discussions are preliminary.

“I’m offering the resources of the state to the city to work in a constructive way with Mayor Daley to do everything that we possibly can to help them end this violence,” said Blagojevich at a news conference in which he signed into law a measure that would increase penalties for adults who give minors guns.

The governor said one idea is to bring state troopers into the city to monitor hot spots.

Just how the State Police would play a significant role is questionable since Blagojevich has only recently begun rebuilding its ranks after union officials say the agency lost more than 10 percent of its positions from 2001 through 2005 and patrolling of many areas, particularly during nights and weekends, is spotty at best.

Blagojevich suggested that recently retired troopers might be able to come back for a few months to help out in Chicago.

The governor’s offer could be more politically embarrassing than helpful for Daley, who has been conscious of the city’s image as he tries to win the 2016 Olympic Games.

Daley spokeswoman Jackie Heard said the mayor found out about the idea through media reports.

“We’re obviously not going to turn away help on a front as important as this,” Heard said. “At the same time, we’re a little puzzled about how it would work. It’s unprecedented. Obviously, help in the form of reducing the number of guns on the street go a long way to addressing the problem.”

Despite Blagojevich’s repeated vows to help Daley’s efforts on major gun-control legislation in Springfield, the governor has exerted little of what capital remains among rank-and-file lawmakers on an issue that still pits strong feelings between Downstate and urban voters.

The governor’s offer of assistance comes after Daley’s opposition last week to a major gambling expansion bill that would provide money to help Blagojevich create a $34 billion public works construction bill. City Hall wants a casino, but doesn’t want to pay the state $500 million for the right to have one, as Blagojevich’s plan seeks. The proposal has little support in the Illinois House, headed by Blagojevich nemesis, Speaker Michael Madigan.

Blagojevich and Daley have not been politically close. Like Daley, Blagojevich has alienated many leading Democrats in the state—Senate President Emil Jones being a strong exception—over a style of governing that critics contend is dominated more by a personal publicity pop than putting any substance behind it.

Source

U.S. army war resister’s deportation sparks outrage

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008

Petti Fong, Toronto Star
July 16, 2008

Hand over at border of B.C. resident Robin Long sparks outrage among supporters of war resisters

Vancouver—A U.S. army deserter who sought asylum in Canada because of his opposition to the Iraq war has become the first to be deported to the United States after being rejected for refugee status.

Robin Long, 25, was handed over to U.S. customs officials by Canadian Border Service Agency officers yesterday, one day after a federal court judge in Vancouver cleared the way for his removal.

Long has been in Canada since 2005, when he left his military base in Colorado Springs. He first went to Toronto, later making his way to the B.C. Interior, where he sought refugee status.

“We think this is outrageous and it flies in the face of what many Canadians believe in,” said Bob Ages, chair of the Vancouver War Resisters’ Support Campaign. “It’s clear that the tide is turning among Canadians in favour of giving war resisters asylum.”

Long, who enlisted when he was 19, said he had wanted to be in the army when he was growing up, but decided that he didn’t want to go to Iraq after talking to people who had been there.

“These people came back and were telling these horrific stories and our superiors were egging people on, some people were actually volunteering to go over there and it just seemed like justified homicide,” he said in the interview. “It didn’t sit right in my stomach. I morally couldn’t do it.”

Federal Court Justice Anne Mactavish said in a ruling released Monday that Long did not provide evidence he would suffer permanent harm if he is returned to the United States.

His lawyer, Shepherd Moss, declined to comment about the case yesterday.

Canada Border Service Agency spokesperson Shakila Manzoor said she could confirm a deportation did take place.

“Everyone ordered removed from Canada is entitled to due process,” said Manzoor. “Once appeals are exhausted, removal is effected.”

About a dozen protesters gathered at the Peace Arch border crossing between B.C. and Washington state yesterday but Long was handed over without incident.

Long’s next stop will be Fort Lewis, the military base in Seattle, after which he will be escorted to Fort Carson in Colorado.

Long’s commander, Col. Randy George, will have several choices in punishing Long, said Fort Carson spokesperson Karen Linne. Long could be placed in confinement, forced to return to duty, discharged from military service or face a court martial.

Full Story | See Also: U.S. war resister Corey Glass granted stay of deportation order | U.S. deserter wins appeal | MPs vote to give asylum to U.S. deserters, Tories say no | U.S. soldier who fled to Canada ordered deported